Martian Contamination

I am not an exobiologist--and aside from conjuring up well-adpated
sci-fi Martian creatures with triple eye lids, biothermal mechanisms,
and radiation-hardened protective shells--I just can't imagine any life
"as we know it" surviving on Mars today.  The intense rain of UV
radiation would be an insurmountable challenge to even the most
primitive lifeform.

In 1988 or 1989, biologist Debbie Moll of the University of Cincinnati
successfully observed a species of terrestrial soil virus surviving--in
a dessicated, suspended state and not in a vibrant, self-reproducing
state--in a lab "Mars Jar" filled with a Wyoming smectite clay analog.
But when the University announced the finding you realized that a key
factor was missing--intense UV radiation! Moll had the low pressure, the
extreme cold of Mars, but not the UV radiation.  I am sure that even
this little bug would not have survived the UV beating the surface of
Mars receives.  But that's Earth life I grant you.  Martian organisms
may have managed to adapt providing they had the time to evolve in the
first place.