Water in the solar system - was Re: halite in Monahans

It is thought that in the presolar nebula, at about 5 AU, there would be
a slush zone, where temperatures would be cool enough for water-ice to form.
This could be a reason why Jupiter formed there.

The asteroids in the far region of the belt are assumed to have once
contained quite a lot of water and from these we get the CI-type meteorites.
There are some samples of asteroids out there that appear reddish or orange
and we have no known samples of that type of rock - expected to have lots of
organics.

Farther out in the solar system, water mixed with a little ammonia forms
a melt at quite low temperatures and a little pressure. This can cause
the water-based differentiation of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn.

The process is interesting, at a pressure of 2-kbar water mixed with ammonia
can melt in a satellite composed of mixed water-ice and rock. A thin zone forms
underground where the water becomes liquid and the rock and mud settle downward.
The region starts to grow and widen. Eventually the surface ruptures - from a
collision event or whatever, and all the water gushed out in a geyser. The surface
sinks and mixes with the unmelted core. Then the process begins anew. Eventually
all the rock settles to the core and the water-ice ammonia solution is at the
surface.