Re: halite in Monahans

>>  The probability  of any material coming from any of the moons of Jupiter is
>>extremely small because of Jupiter's immense gravity.

>    Yes,  i agree with you totally on this,  it does make sence since we have
>1000's of kilos of H-5's around....and not one of them with Halite!

Actually, it is more accurate to say we haven't been looking very
carefully for halite salt crystals in common chondrites.  Salt
crystals  has
been found in other meteorites, so Monahans is not unique in that
respect.  Steve Arnold has also demonstrated how fragile the salt crystals can be.
Steve had cut off a 1.1 gram fragment piece of Monahans that had
a "gorgeous blue crystal", but in doing so took the meteorite out of
its protective bag.  He then took three photos of the fragment, clearly
showing all sides of the meteorites. The photos did not show a
blue crystal anywhere on the meteorite, it had already disappeared.
Many people had noticed the absence of the blue crystal in this
fragment, and Steve has remained silent to the inquiries about this.

At least we know the portion of the Monahans meteorite that the
Monahans City Council donated to the scientific community will
be properly preserved, including the salt crystals.  The same cannot
be said for the Monahans fragment that is coming up for auction.

Ron Baalke