Re: Re. Monahans article

Hi Ken, Stuart and list,

I couldnīt agree more to what Stuart and Ken said.
I just add some more thoughts to those collectors as somebody who was a "crazy"
collector of  lot of things years before. Possessing  things ( not only
collectable ) can mean that one is possessed by these things. Well, some years
ago, when I collected butterflies, coins and all that stuff, I learned much, met
interesting people, found some friends, made some interesting experiences. But,
some years ago, I decided not to be possessed by things. Well, I have some
things, but when I have to give them away, live goes on. It is similar to
alcohol, if you need a gallon of whiskey every day, you canīt enjoy a good
wine.  And, when I stopped all my activities, some friends disappeared, some
stayed.

Collecting things which are no scientific value ( like telephone cards ) or a
limited value to a collector ( hey, of course there is no limit of a value, but
for research you have to be able to do research)  means always you can earn or
loose money.Their value depends on what in inside the brain of other people ( is
there any meteorite which has come down with a price on it ?) and therefore not
logical.Some people call me crazy because I paid 5 $ for an arrow-head of an
Indian but we do not have any indians in Europe and therefore nothing like that
can be found in my garden. And, the Americans buy militaria at horrendable
prices from here, so what ?

I wasnīt wondering about the discussions because of these Monahans, all this
discussions seemed like a soap opera ( I never watch them ) where you always
say:"Oh, I have seen that already."   And, indeed I have seen that many times
before in different variations.
If any of you collects other things you will find that all this discussion are
there, too.
All discussions of what is cheap or expensive, whether somebody has two nickels
to rub together ( Haha, I have even three but cannot rub them as they are in
plastic )or not  and how prices will develop and all the sorrows what will
happen if prices go high. Any of these questions are not worth that you insult
friends and the whole conversation wasnīt worth that some people on the list
felt that they were insulted.

So, if somebody thinks he has to pay a lot of money for a meteorite, it is his
money. If you cannot bid for them as you have not found any SNC in your backyard
yesterday, be calm, you will probably never buy a plane, make holidays on the
moon and maybe you will be never invited to the White House. Live goes on.

The only thing we all have but cannot enlarge is time. So, donīt waste it.

Blaise PASCAL said,  people have problems only because they do not sit quietly
in their rooms.

Joachim