Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way, in Monahans

Hi Julia, hello List:

No, this thread "The Fight..." was not the central point of what I meant
with my post, though it seems to be a good illustration (put in words,
ironically) of what is going on there in Monahans TX, between the
authorities, city manager, Smithsonian... on one hand, and that brave
man fighting the good fight, for the boys (...of course). BTW: I hope
Steve Arnold doesn´t take too much personal offence - this is in no way
intended by me. Free enterprise is nothing bad, but, really: why acting
in that noisy way?

The REAL problem has been pointed out by Phil Bagnall, and that was what
I had primarily aimed at with my post, quoting him. One should be very
careful fighting a battle, and not finally losing a war, as someone else
on the list put it. This is because there is a highly sensitive
"interdependence" of collectors, hunters, dealers, curators, scientists
and other professionals in the field, and a lot of damage can
uncautiously be done to this fragile network. This is something which
really should be avoided, for the benefit of us all.

I hope the boys will get their compensation in one or the other way, I
hope to see this meteorite some day, wherever it may finally come to its
rest, and last but not least, I hope that I do not leave the impression
that someone of the international community of meteorophiles, in this
case far away from the action, has tried to meddle too much with
internal affairs. Meteorites are a truly international phenomenon, and
so I thought it was justified to throw my 2 cents in...   :-)

Best regards, Alex
Alexander Seidel          N 53.5932  E 9.4683  6m asl
Dankersstrasse 22         ---------------------------
D-21680 Stade, Germany    Fon/Fax    (+49) 4141 68772