Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way

BAALKE@kelvin.jpl.nasa.gov writes:

<<
 That is true.  However, one would ask why then are you trying to apply
 the Mining Law of 1872 in the Monahans case?  The Monahans meteorite
 did not fall on federal land.

I am not trying to apply the Mining Law of 1872!   I am just saying that was
the failed defense that the miners used in an attempt to justify why they
should be able to get the Old Woman Meteorite.

The Old Woman Meteorite Case dealt with Federal law about meteorites on
Federal lands.  Yes, I do think it was a bad decision, but I think it is
totally irrelevant to the Monahans (1998) case.  In Texas, state law is more
important!  Especially since there ARE NO FEDERAL OR STATE LAWS ABOUT
METEORITES!  And the last time I checked, there wasn't a Meteorite Amendment
to the Constitution!  The judgment in the Old Woman case was just that, a
judge's opinion on how the ACTUAL LAWS apply to that specific situation.
There were NO STATUTES passed in that decision!  No Laws written.  Just a
ruling for that specific case.

Now, yes, it could be correctly stated that a precedence was established for
meteorites found on federal land (but not necessarily meteorites that would
FALL on federal property).  But this case is VERY different.

There are other laws and previous judgments involving other cases in Texas
that give us a strong belief that a judge will agree that the boys are the
rightful owners!  We just think, just because it landed on city property, does
not mean it automatically belongs to the city!  No matter how many times you
say that the Old Woman Case proved otherwise.

Also, Ron, I am still waiting for the list of meteorite FALLS with <2,500g
total recovered weight, that you have either purchased or that you know of
where I can purchase now, for less than $1/g!  Have you found that list yet?
Maybe you have some in your collection that you would be willing to sell me at
that price?

Steve