Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way, in Monahans

In your message dated Monday 1, June 1998 you wrote :
> And unless we as a community (the meteoritical community) stand up
> and demand our rights, we will eventually lose them!

Hang on Steve, what makes you think we're all on your side? I, for one, am not.

There has got to be a balance between private and public ownership of
meteorites. If all meteorites became private property then that would result in
fewer meteorites in our museums - one of the major sources of inspiration for
those who later become interested in the subject. It would also mean fewer
objects available for research.

Those members of the list who know me, or who have read my articles, will know
that I don't have time for those professional meteoriticists who believe they
have a God-given right to meteorites - but nor do I have time for amateur
collectors who believe they should own every meteorite ever found.

I believe your campaign is irresponsible and could do irreparable damage to the
hobby of meteorite collecting. If, by some madness, your action succeeded then
there would be calls for the law to be changed. That would drive the trade
underground and push up prices, as we've seen in other countries.

> judge will decide, at least in Texas, that Finders Keepers applies in
> Texas, and I believe, the whole science of meteoritcs will advance!

The "science of meteoritics"? How would you know? You're not a meteoriticist!
What you surely mean is that all meteorites would be up for grabs and you - and
others - can hope to make a good few dollars selling what was once regarded as
public property. If you're going to fight this thing then at least be honest
with us Steve, if not the courts.

What amazes me is why the boys' parents approached you (or did you approach
them, I wonder?). I would have thought it wiser to approach a lawyer as it is
clear from your postings to this list that you have little knowledge of the
law and even less on the history and development of meteorite collecting
in your own country.

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/