Re: Satellites To Be 'Sandblasted' By Leonid Storm

>Dr. William H. "Bill" Ailor of The Aerospace Corporation told a
>congressional subcommittee in Washington May 21 that the estimated 500
>satellites on orbit "will be sandblasted" by the Leonid meteoroid storm due
>November 17.
>
>But he said the effects on spacecraft are expected to be minimal, despite
>the fact the storm "will be the largest such threat ever experienced by our
>critical orbiting satellite constellations."

Actually, there were about 200 satellites in Earth orbit during the 1966
Leonids meteor storm, and not one of those satellites were damaged.  The
possible Leonids meteor storms in 1998 & 1999, if they happen, are
expected to be less severe than the 1966 storm.  While I agree the Leonids is a
threat and there are more satellites in orbit (~500) today than in 1966,
it probably is not as big a threat as some people would like to make
out to be.  Nevertheless, it would still be prudent for some
of the satellites to take protective measures, such as repositioning
themselves or closing the covers of any instruments.  The Leonids should show
its highest activity level since 1966, and put on a good show to the observers
on the ground.  If a meteor storm does materialize, and there is a good
chance of it in 1999, then it will be a spectacular show.

Ron Baalke