VICTORY AT MONAHANS

Greetings to all list members,

I have just received a phone call from Steve Arnold in Monahans, Texas, and
I am posting this at his direct request.

The Monahans City Council today arrived at a unanimous decision to return
the Monahans (1998) meteorite to the seven boys who found it. Steve was
present at the council meeting, and will hopefully post a more detailed
report to the list, later this evening. As most of you will, no doubt, be
aware Steve has been representing the interests of the "Monahans Seven," as
he firmly believes that the boys and their families should retain ownership
of the meteorite which they found on March 22.

There has been extensive media interest today, and we expect it to continue
tomorrow. Steve has been informed that Fox News in Dallas will be carrying
a live segment this evening. Steve and Mr. Lyles of Monahans (one of the
boy's fathers) are expected to be interviewed live, tomorrow morning, on
"Good Morning America."

Later this evening, I hope to have an temporary web site up, which will
carry some photographs taken today at the hearing, together with some more
detailed information. I will post the URL to the list as soon as it is
ready for viewing.

I am sure that Steve would want me to take this opportunity -- on his
behalf -- to thank all of you who have participated (on both sides) so
vigorously in the list discussion on the Monahans case. There is probably
no finer or better informed forum than this list, in which to debate such
an issue.

Sincerely,

Geoff Notkin