breccia

>Having read all the thrilled posts by new "lunartics", about their brand new
>"polymict anorthositic lunar highland breccia", I would ask whether there
>is an official pronunciation of the word "breccia".   I've heard several
>different pronunciations, and the three different dictionaries I've consulted
>(non-scientific ones, admittedly)  offer no consensus.
>bretch-e-a?   bresh-e-a?   brek-e-a?  brek-she-a?

>Anyone?    Gregory

This seems to be an eterna problem with any sort of name or term in the
scientific community.  Everyone pronounces things differently.  My usual
approach with students is to tell them to pronounce it any way they like.
If ever questioned about pronunciation or spelling, a quick out is simply
to state:

"Thats the BRITISH spelling (or pronunciation)"

 You will usually always get away with this and the question will never
arise again.

Regards,

Steve E.

Dr. Stephen Ervin