Re: "breccia" ad infinitum

Regarding:
Is it just me, or is THIS precisely the sort of statement which makes a
lot of us really disenchanted with academia & "higher learning" these
days?!    "However you pronounce it is OK, dear students, we surely don't
want to risk damaging your delicate self-esteem by having (shudder) actual
standards". Grrrrrr....

Hello,
As one who teaches in a higher education environment, in particular science
education, the alteration of pronunciations is not a bad option especially
when faced with teaching about the planet Uranus to seventh graders.

I advise the future teachers who take my courses to be very careful when
commenting on a student's word choice. Right or wrong, verbal and written
communications surmise most all of our communications. If the communication
medium is challenged rather than the message,  learning breaks down and the
student's self esteem is lowered.

I believe the number of posts in reply to a word's pronunciation shows we
are acutely opinionated about how to speak, but not necessarily about what
is said.

When I posted a note about the fragments in the LL3 DaG 313, I discovered
that breccia can mean many different things. I am curious about what
specific solar gasses are trapped inside breccias? In particular, the
gasses which are used to determine the depth at which the welding took
place (such as  deep buried breccias (fragmental) like Cumberland Falls vs.
shallow depth breccias (regolith) such as Plainview).  Also, are the
measurements of the trapped gasses refined enough to offer an indication of
depth of formation rather than only a relative measurement comparing two or
more brecciated meteorites?

Sincerely,

Martin

Follow-Ups: References: