Re: THE BATTLE FOR MONAHANS - may be lost to water.

>One of the things that makes Monahans so valuable is the presence of
>those salt crystals - otherwise, it's just a rather normal meteorite.
>
>Now I've never seen these on any photo, and I hope Steve tells us if
>they are visible and numerous.
>
>What I would not like to see happen is for someone to get Monohans WET!
>I'm glad to see that the photos show it in a zip-lock bag. I'd be
>happier yet, Steve, if you put some desiccant in the bag.
>
>Water would probably destroy every bit of those crystals.

That is a very good point.  In fact, if you try to slice it with
one of those saw machines, which often uses water to keep the blade
cool, chances are you'll lose the blue crystals.  In fact, I wouldn't
be at all surprised if the blue crystals were more common in meteorites
but were lost when the meteorites were sliced up.

Ron Baalke