The Strange Mystery of the Albion Iron (which may be Gibeon)

Hello List:

For the past 6 months, I have been trying to account for all of the known Washington State USA meteorites.  I need your help to solve a meteorite mystery surrounding the provenance of the Albion fine octahedrite -- a supposedly rare specimen because it contains drusy vugs and voids (something difficult to form in the intense pressure of a planetoid or asteroid iron-nickel core).

The last issue of Geochimica et Cosmochimica (Vol. 62, No. 4. pp. 715-724) contains an article by John Wasson, et al., that opines that the Albion IVA iron is probably a piece of Gibeon!  He says:

"In part because the USA meteorite market has been flooded with Gibeon IVA speciments during the past few years, we paid particular attention to any IVA irons having compositions that approximate that of Gibeon. We have unpublished data on a suite of Gibeon irons provided by V.F. Buchwald that document a resolvable range of compositions; Au ranges from about 0.88 to 1.04 ug/g, Ir ranges from 2.6 to 2.2 ug/g. In Fig. 3 we plot compositions of recent Gibeon analyses that are representative of the compositional endmembers; mean data are listed later in Table 6 and discussed in more detail in Appendix D.

"The composition of Albion is very close to that of high-Au Gibeon. Albion has received attention because of its crystal-bearing vugs, (Petaev and Marvin, 1996; Marvin, Kempton, et al., 1996) but some Gibeon samples also contain such (probably shock-produced) vugs (M. Kilgore, pers. commun., 1996). Although we tentatively list Albion as a new, unpaired iron, it is our opinion that its provenance should be confirmed by obtaining testimony from local witnesses at the putative fall site. We also mark on Fig. 3 the composition of the Kingman iron tentatively assigned to Gibeon (see Appendix D)."

For the past few months, I have been trying to find the wheat farmer, K. Oliphant, who supposedly found the Albion specimen in the vicinity of Albion, Colton, Colfax or Pullman (in southeastern Washington State USA). My brother-in-law is the chief police detective for the City of Pullman (the WSU college town). He has searched the phone books, checked with the title companies and interviewed old timers and has not found a K. Oliphant or anyone who has ever heard of him or his family.

I e-mailed Russ Kempton (NEMS) over a month ago about the provenance of the Albion iron, asking if he had any idea how to locate the original finder???  No response to date.  Russ's NEMS website http://www.meteorlab.com/papers/albtxt1.htm contains an interesting item implying that John Wasson did the initial classification of Albon.  It says, in part:
"Whitman County, Washington, USA
During the winter of 1966 - 1967, a single 12.28 kg iron mass was found in a wheat field adjacent to the Palouse River in Albion, Washington. The mass was in the possession of its finder, Kenneth Oliphant, until sometime in 1991 when it was sectioned to determine if it was a meteorite. Based upon the initial classification by Dr. John Wasson of UCLA as a Fine Octahedrite (IVA), it was recently submitted to the Meteoritical Society with the proposed name of Albion, Washington..."  Now, Wasson says Albion is probably Gibeon?

Somebody out there in Meteorite List Land must know the whole story about Albion, how to find K. Oliphant and where all of the specimens are now located.  Certainly the scientists involved must know where or from whom they got the sample!  H-E-L-P !!!

Regards,
Steve
Steven Excell
Seattle, Washington USA