Make your own meteorite

Greetings to Stuart, "newbie" from the UK...from someone south of
watford.

I too enjoy showing my meteorites off to youngesters, I get to talk
to school groups and local cubs/scouts/brownies groups about 4 to 6
times a year. I give them a general introduction to astronomy, then
off onto my pet subject, meteorites. I am all for letting them put
their grubby/greasy hands over my samples.

I have also made up a model of a stone meteorite, its easy to do,
just take some modelling clay, plus loads of scrap metal. Screws,
nails etc. This is to make the weight up to original. In my case
the meteorite I choose was a 1300g stone which fell in Ashdon,
Essex in 1932. You will of course need a couple of photographs or
drawings, taken from different view-points, so you get the shape
right. (more for my piece of mind than those I am showing it to,
as any typical meteorite shape will do).

So I you can't afford that meteorite or main mass, just make your
own model.

I know some organisations have comercially produced models/molds
of famous meteorites...but from what I remember they seemed pricy.

--
Eric Hutton