Meteorite Collecting

Gentlemen,

Lately there have been many messages back & forth regarding the Monahans
Meteorite, its availablity, and especially, speculation as to its
possible distribution price. There have also been messages about buying,
selling, and collecting pieces of the "Peekskill Meteorite Car".

Am I confused?  I thought this was a forum about the collection, and
scientific value of meteorites and their study. Instead, there seems to
be a frenzy to be able to own something in order to "one-up" other
collectors and to be able to say, I have something which you don't, or
perhaps we just have a number of people who are only building
collections with the view to making an "intelligent" investment now with
a view to bigger resale values in the future.

I personally have found this forum to be very interesting and valuable,
and have learned much more about meteorites and the history of this
scientific field.  Martin, Walter, & Ron, to name a few, have made this
an excellent educational experience and resource and I would like to see
this continue and not have it turn into a site of accusations and out &
out "warfare" between the various members.

Thank you for letting me express my views.   Ken Wilson