Fwd: Nakhla SNC (Mars)

-- BEGIN included message

I have just been informed by Monica Grady, the Curator of the meteorite
collection at the British Natural History Museum, of the results of her
planned donation of a Nakhla specimen to the scientific community.

Stone 1913.25, (640.8 grams, totally fusion crusted) presumably one of three
stones given by the Egyptians in 1913,  was broken in two at the Johnson Space
Center on March 12. ("Broken" is likely the accurate word here as Nakhla is
quite friable.  It takes a true artist to create a thin section of this
material.) About 300 grams was returned to the museum.  The rest is scheduled
for distribution to 37 groups of researchers over the next few months.
Previously, Monica had written to me that her main reason for the donation of
this rare material from the museum's collection is to again look for
fossilized Martian life forms as has been thoroughly but inconclusively done
to ALH84001. She's hoping that the fusion crust on this specimen has minimized
terrestrial contamination of the now freshly cut interior.

Nakhla is composed of about 2.5% iddingsite, a sedimentary product of water
reacting with olivine. So the question is- when Nakhla got wet, did anything
go swimming?

Best regards to all,

Kevin Kichinka

-- END included message