Re: Runaway prices

Hello Gene and List,

Gene's message is very true.  This was the point I was trying to make with
Monahans.  Buyers (and that includes me), you have more to say with price
determination than what you think.  For discretionary items (and face it
folks, your mortgage payment comes first) if you don't like the price, don't
buy it.  It is the right and perogative of anyone selling anything to get as
much for the item as he or she can.  It is also the right and perogative of
buyers to refuse a price that is too high.  There is also the fine art of
negotiating: if you don't like the price, make a counter offer!

I buy/sell/trade meteorites and tektites (albeit strictly minor league).  If I
price something too high and nobody buys it, guess what I do to the price?

-Walter

> The solution to runaway prices, whether caused by short lived publicity
>  (Monahans isn't Peekskill), starry-eyed land owners or dealers whose
>  appraisals forget to check reality is to simply not buy the meteorites.
>
>  There seems to be a big rush to purchase new falls simply because they
>  are new. The true value of these specimens will be established in a
>  couple years, after they have been classified, recognized, named,
>  studied and the enthusiasm of the hunt has dissipated. Ownership of
>  Monahans was disputed -- so what? (And how long do you think those salt
>  crystals are going to last outside a curatorial facility?) Portales
>  looks pretty -- so what? If the specimens are over priced, don't buy
>  them. Are they really necessary for your collection or are you just
>  getting caught up in the rush? They might even be cheaper in a few
>  months.
>
>  Common sense is usually the best arbiter of price.

TO UN-SUBSCRIBE: