Re: Bolide size versus recovered ...

In your message dated Thursday 26, February 1998 you wrote :
> A) Phil wrote: It would be useful to get rid of this obsolete term
> "bolide" as it has no real
> scientific meaning.
>
> What makes this term  o b s o l e t e ?

Hi Bernd,

I was using "obsolete" in a scientific context. The definitions of terms used in
meteor astronomy were decided in 1961 by IAU Commission 22 on Meteors and
Meteorites. They preferred the term "fireball" to "bolide". Although bolide is
still used by some it is, at the end of the day, simply a "fireball". Clearly
having two terms to describe one phenomenon is unnecessary. (BTW the first use
of the term bolide was in France in 1852 to describe a bright meteor.)

There are very real problems with using obsolete terminology. If you ask six
people to explain what a bolide is then you'll probably get six different
answers - because there is no official definition. Any discussion about bolides
then rapidly descends (no pun intended) into confusion because everyone has a
slightly different idea of what a bolide is.

Personally, I prefer bolide: I think "fireball" is confusing!

If you really want to preserve the term then you can petition the IAU. However,
be prepared for a fight! They don't like changing terminology if they can
possibly avoid it - and you have to have some very good arguments on your side
to win.

I hope that clears matters.

--
Phil Bagnall