Re: Bolide size vs Recovered Stones

I am sending this to the list again, as it didn't make it through the first
time.

Hi Phil and all,

My understanding of the word bolide means a fireball that breaks apart. A
fireball is simply a bright meteor that doesn't fragment. Everyone reading
Nininger's Find A Falling Star (a must read if you haven't), might remember
that a well witnessed (and very bright) fall in the northern USA and  S.
Canada, resulted in only scattered black (?) dust being found on freshly fallen
snow in Canada. Apparently the material was very friable and didn't survive
intact but rather broke up and settled on the snow.

The term bolide from my understanding defines a break up. One in two falls
break apart according to my understanding.

I haven't kept up with this thread so if this has been pointed out then sorry
for the repeat.

Respectfully

--AL