Re: Bolide size vs. Recovered Stone(s)

Spending years doing field work recovering meteorites, I have read hundreds of
old newspaper stories and it seems to me the term bolide was used quite often.
My guess is that journalists hate to use the same word a dozen or so times in
one story.  So after "meteor" and "fireball" were worn thin, "bolide" probably
started to sound pretty good!

I will never be caught accusing a journalist of being correct!  But it might
explain how the word has crept into our vocabulary without all of us taking a
vote on it first.

Steve Arnold
www.meteoritebroker.com