Re: What is a bolide?

<<
         Dear George Zay

         "Otherwise, the word bolide has no real meaning to
 me" was the phrase you used to close your posting.
         Maybe you should look at the Webster's New World
 Dictionary and its definition of "bolide" (... a brillant
 shooting meteor, especial one that explodes). By
 association, in many no english speaking countries,
 bolides means also something (a car, even a person )
 moving very fast. I hope the first part of this posting can
 help you out to find a new meaning to the word... :-)
         Cordially
         JOEL CONRADO

----------------------------------
Thanks Joel...I'm afraid I only speak english (and sometimes have a rough time
at that)  and have no idea what bolide would mean in other languages. But I do
find it interesting that it could also mean a car or person etc that is moving
very fast. I did look in my two available dictionaries for the word "bolide"
and it wasn't in either. I have the DoubleDay Dictionary and the "New Concise
Webster's Dictionary"...."Specially designed for Home, School and Office". Not
the fanciest books in the world, but that's what I have to go by in addition
to IMO's handbooks with their Glossaries. In regards to meteors, the word
"bolide" still has no real meaning to me...but in regards to very fast people
and cars I guess I can think of them as being bolides...especially if they
somehow explode at the end.
George Zay