Re: What is a bolide?

I can accept "bolide" as a fireball that explodes.  Having years ago
seen two separate large fireballs, both of which exploded before their
lights extinguished high above the Pacific's nighttime horizon, I don't
much care if I refer to the experience as a fireball or a bolide, though
99% of folks I've related that experience to wouldn't know a bolide from
a bowling ball...

Actually, I just recall reading somewhere that "bolide" comes from a
Greek term referring to spears, though I can't the source...  Anyone
come across that sentence somewhere in our popular literature??

Thanks,

Joseph
Honolulu, HI

Follow-Ups: References: