Brecciation...

Hello Billl:
Most newcomers have trouble understanding exactly what brecciation is so I will do my best to define it.  From the "Dictionary of Geological Terms" (Bates and Jackson), breccia, pronounced "breh-shia", a coarse grained clastic rock (not necessary in meteorites) composed of angular broken rock fragments held together by a mineral cement or fine grained matrix.  Basically it means a bunch of broken rocks assembled together!:) There are 2 types of breccias as well. 1. Polymict-broken rocks are a different composition than the matrix and 2.Monomict-broken fragments are of the same composition as the matrix. Meteorites that display brecciation are among my favorites, mostly types 5's and 6's.  For a stunning example see the image of L'Aigle at http://www.mhmeteorites.com/images/laigle_s.jpg.  Hope that helps!

Matt Morgan

Bill Camp wrote:

 Greetings to all,
First i would like to say how much i enjoy the open exchange of ideas presented on this list.  As a relative newcomer to the hobby i am in need of a clarification of the term brecciated, as it relates to meteorites.   Webster's says:
Breccia:  a rock consisting of sharp fragments embedded in a fine matrix(as sand or clay)
Brecciate:  1.  to form (rock) into breccia
                  2. to break (rock) into fragments - brecciation
Often i see the term brecciated used to describe meteorites and i have been unable to determine exactly what that means.  i would appreciate any input. This has got to be easier than "what does bollide mean?"
Thank you in advance for your help.

sincerely,
bill

--