VERNACULAR/ZAP PITS

Jim Hurley wrote:

I'd like to ask some questions on vernacular as well:

What are 'vugs' and 'zap pits'?
These are some types of small holes I guess, but what are they?

Hello Jim,

Maybe  z a p  p i t s  have got something to do with the formation process of 'fulgurites' because I found the following entry on my RANDOM HOUSE WEBSTER'S CD ROM:

—v.i.
8. to move quickly, forcefully, or destructively: high-voltage currents zapping overhead.
—n.
9. force, energy, or drive; zip.
10. a jolt or charge, as or as if of electricity.

Regards, Bernd

P.S.: Congratulations on your Sikhote-Alin acquisition which I keep admiring on Mike Farmer's homepage!