Re: Cold Bay Pallasite

At 11:27 PM 4/03/98 -0900, you wrote:
>Speaking of pallasites...
>
>Does anyone have any information about the Cold Bay Alaska Pallasite?  From
>what I understand, it was found in the 1940s lying on the beach at the high
>tide line. Specifically, what type of Pallasite is it? Also, who has the
>main mass, and is any available for purchase or trade?

According the the Pallasite manuscript of David Bowers (unpublished): Found
June 1921 on a mountaintop about 3 milies west of the trading post at Cold
Bay, described 1922. Estimated weight: 320 g. Very weathered. Belongs to the
Eagle Station Group. Contains fayalitic olivines. All known pieces: 287g -
Smithsonian, 33.5g - British Museum.

Joel Schiff