Etching irons

I have had mixed success in etching iron meteorites, particularly Gibeon.
On several occasions, I have obtained a very sharp etch, which reflects
light in bright lines.  Other times the effect is much more muted.  I use an
10-1 ethanol/nitric acid mix over about 30-40 minutes.  Is this difference
due to the method, or due to the angle of the cut relative to the crystal
structure?  Does anyone have a method which consistently produces the
bright, sharp etch?

Your help is appreciated

Dan Fronefield