Re: Greenland Strike

CalSouth1 schrieb:

> CNN had a note this morning that a meteorite strike in Dec. 97 in
> Greenland
> (with the impact of an A-Bomb) was to be investigated.  Anyone have
> any info
> on this?
>
> I know we had quite a discussion on whether it was natural atmospheric
>
> phenomenon or not and then it just died out.  Apparently someone
> thinks it was
> a strike.
>
> Harper

A very complete and thorough coverage of the event is to be found at the
Dutch Meteor Society's homepage:
http://home.pi.net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm

Just click 'Latest and old results (last update: 7 March)' and then
select 'Meteorite Impact Greenland?'

Here is a copy of the contents list:

01. Press statement by Niels Bohr Institute, Geophysical Dept. 971215
20:00 UT
02. Eye witness reports, seismic data and video recording by Niels Bohr
Institute, Geophysical Dept.
03. This map of Greenland shows the location where the meteorite hit the
earth surface
04. This is a more detailed map of the south-eastern area of Greenland
05. This very first news originates from Henrik Persson (Denmark) of
december 12.
06. Go to the next section for a more detailed scientific report on the
QAQORTOQ Meteorite Fall
07. This is the plume which may be the result of the meteorite impact on
Greenland
08. NOAA-photo's showing the event are also available
09. A fine and detailed coverage of NOAA-pictures from Andre Knoeffel
10. NOAA's direct from the Dundee Satellite Receiving Station
11. QAQORTOQ EVENT : Homepage of Holger Pedersen
12. Rasmussen : short report
13. Laz : analyses of dimension of the meteorite
14. Ilan Manulis : some more eyewithnesses and other findings
15. David Morrison : NEO news; opinion on the Greenland event
16. Jens Sveistrup : Why the Greenland_cloud_event is NOT related to a
meteorite impact!
17. Keld Rasmussen : Impact might be possible. Search for air on
december 16
18. Keld Rasmussen : The Meteorite event on/over Greenland 091297 0515
local time.
19. Copenhagen Astronomical Club
20. Gary W. Kronk : Greenland Impact?
21. Marco Langbroek : Opinion on the Greenland event
22. Brian Marsden : 100 POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS ASTEROIDS
23. The Greenland Qaqortoq* Meteorite : Oliver Merrington
24. Greenland Meteorite Impact Discussions : Science Web
25. Marco Langbroek : Discussing the probability of a meteorite fall
26. Meteorite fall Colombia? : CNN World News, december 16
27. GEOS 3.9 um Channel Tutotial : NOAA
28. Multispectral Observations of Storm Tops (MOST)[*] : Dr. Martin
Setvak
29. Greenland Fireball : Images from NOAA-12 and NOAA-14 (Gary Kronk
30. The Satellite Active Archive : SAA / NOAA
31. DMS Mission Statement and Disclaimer

Regards, Bernd