Re: Largest Meteorite?

In your message dated Monday 9, March 1998 you wrote :

> Someone asked me this morning if I heard anything about the largest meteorite
> ever found from China...replacing the Hoba West Meteorite in S. Africa? I was
> not aware that anything larger than the Hoba West was found. Does anyone know
> anything about a meteorite in China to replace the Hoba West?
> George Zay

Hi George,

The Jilin meteorite fell on 8th March 1976. It is an H-chondrite and weighs
1.8Mg. Several fragments were found and the fall just missed a village. Just as
well - the main mass caused a crater 6m deep! It is the largest stone meteorite
but nowhere near as big as the 60Mg Hoba iron.

Albest,

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/