Re: Asteroid Will Miss Earth By Comfortable Distance In 2028

my point is that someone uninfected with "p.t. barnum syndrome" does not
issue a request for one's colleagues to do a follow-up on one's
calculations via a press release!  c'mon.  this would typically have been
handled far more elegantly.

using barely a touch of creative license, i stand by the representation
that marsden's data was instantaneously swatted away.

darryl

At 06:20 PM 3/13/98 +0000, Ron Baalke wrote:

>I'm not sure what your point is, but Marsden's and JPL's press releases
>were not instanteous, and were sent out more than 24 hours apart.
>Brian Marsden issued his press release
>on March 11 based on observations over an 88 day period
>of the asteroid.  At the same time, he sent out a request to the astronomy
>community for additional observations of the asteroid, including possible
>prediscovery images.  A prediscovery image was discovered th Eleanor Helin
>and party from a 1990 Palomar Observatory plate the next day.  Don Yeomans
>and Paul Chodas took the new information and determined a more precise
>orbit which is based on data now covering an 8 year period, as opposed to
Marsden's