WD 40 (call to the company)

Hello Everyone,

Because of all the discussion about WD-40 used on iron meteorites I decided to
call the company to get their views.  I spoke today with Mr. Ray Miles,
"technical director" for the WD-40 company (yes, the name of the company is
WD-40).  I specifically asked him about the use of WD-40 to help clean
meteorites.

Not surprisngly, I was informed that the company had done no studies or tests
with iron meteorites.  I also asked if he knew of any harm or deleterious
effects of WD-40 on minerals such as olivine, etc.  He told that to his
knowledge there were no  deleterious effects.  Of course, he meant mainly
altering the obvious physical characteristics.  He could not speculate on
chemical effects.

He also told me that WD-40 is derived from crude oil and a large percentage is
mineral spirits.  He suggeted that we take that into consideration when using
it.  He did not know of any harmful effects on natural material but some
plastics might be altered by WD-40.  I thought of the plastic display cases we
sometimes use but he could not be specific.  Suggestion: test before using for
long-term storage.

In short, he thought it would be okay to continue to use WD-40 on meteorites
but having no experience with this specific use he could not be absolutely
sure.  I personally will continue to use it when I deem necessary and report
any harmful effects to the list.

-Walter