Preserving those Irons...

Dear Fellow Collectors,

         I have tried using WD 40 myself on Irons. it leaves a perfumy-type
smell on the irons, and they never seem to dry quite well.
   By the way, WD-40 stands for Water-Displacement Formula #40. It is a
mixture of petroleum, and mineral spirits. WD 40 will in time dry out. I have
sprayed WD 40 on acrylic display cases and there was NO harm. However, I
sprayed WD 40 onto styrofoam cups, and it partially ate through the puffy
plastic!  Some vinyl, and injection moulded plastics will react with WD 40.
   If you are going to display irons on an open shelf, mantle, etc, WD 40 will
work fine. I suggest that you completely spray, and leave to air-dry to get
rid of the petroleum-based perfume that is added. I still like my SHEATH spray
that is available at Wal-Mart sporting departments. SHEATH  also leaves a
perfumy petroleum scent, however, the evaporation rate is much slower, and
lasts longer, once the scent disappears.
   For slices of Irons, Wal Mart sells a clear acrylic spray paint for just 98
cents per can. I sprayed some of my slices with several fine mists of the
acrylic spray, and they look as good as the day they were cut and polished.
  I have a beautiful (if there is such a thing) 5 pound Nantan, and I sprayed
it with Sheath... no more powdery erosion, or flaking!

John Walters,

Voyage! Magazine