Re: How many Meteorites?

Bernd Pauli wrote:

> The U.S. Collection of Antarctic Meteorites comprises:
>
> Number of meteorites ======================>  8412
> Number of meteorites classified ============> 7796
> U.S. Antarctic meteorites in my database ===> 8116
>
> The Japanese Collection of Antarctic Meteorites comprises:
>
> Number of meteorites =======================> 8900 (approx.)
>
> Worldwide without Antarctica (My d.base) ===> 4039 (Monahans and Hebron
> included)
>
> So, we have a total of about: 21,351 meteorites worldwide!
> (at the moment - see SPACEROCKS posting)
>
> Regards, Bernd

With regards to Antarctica, does this number reasonably take into
account the pairings of finds that reduces the total number of meteorite
events? In the rest of the world, Pultusk for example is estimated to
have dropped hundreds of thousands of pieces and Holbrook 20,000+ but
each represents one meteorite.

Follow-Ups: References: