Re: Cambridge Conference Digest - May 1, 1998

>I am wondering if you can explain further the final line in the COMPOSITION
>OF COMETARY DUST abstract.  The line reads as follows:

This isn't my article, but I'll attempt some educated guesses.

>"There is evidence for an organic material that is being destroyed between
>heliocentric distances of 0.8-1.8 AU. "

>I'm wondering two main things, first, how do they know the material is
>organic,

They're most likely detecting organic molecules rich in carbon, though they
didn't list which ones in the abstract.  This is not surprising, organic
material has been detected in comets and meteorites.   Note that organic
material is not uncommon and by itself it not an indication of life.

>and second, how do they know the material is destroyed,

Probably by comparing the dust particles from beyond 1.8 AU and noting
differences between the two.

>or better
>yet, why is it destroyed?

Apparently because the particles at 1.8 AU and under are much closer to the Sun
and are exposed to more heat.

Ron Baalke