Re: fossil meteorite

PORRELLO wrote:
> >Hello, Does anyone know about meteorites that have landed millions of
> years ago and were imbeded in sediment? Fossil metiorites(excuse the pun)?

> Hello,

> Two known fossil meteorites are mentioned in Hutchison and Graham's
> book Meteorites.

> One is the Brunflo, Sweden meteorite which was found in 450 million
> year old sediment. The meteorite fell into a shallow sea during the
> Ordovician, and is preserved today, along with a nautiloid fossil,
> in a piece of limestone.

> Martin

High folks,

... and the other is Lake Murray (Oklahoma), a IIB coarsest iron (10 mm)
found in Cretaceous sandstone and the oldest known 'paleoiron' [Ref.:
LaPaz L. (1953) Meteoritics 1, pp. 109-113].

For more details see: SICREE A.A. et al. (1997) Potential for
preservation and recovery of fossil iron meteorites from coal, trona,
limestone and other sedimentary rocks (Meteoritics 32-4, 1997, A121).

Sicree et al. also report that "more than one dozen Ordovician
'paleochondrites' have been recovered from limestone quarries at Brunflo
and Österplana, Sweden".
They are thoroughly altered and most of their material has been replaced
by barite and calcite.
[Ref.: Thorslund P. et al. (1981) NATURE 289, pp. 285-286 and Nyström
J.O. et al. (1989) NATURE 336, pp. 572-574].

Mar'inka, another IIB iron (weight: 144 g), was also thought to be a
fossil meteorite as it had been found in coal-bearing carboniferous
strata dated at 285-340 m.y. But its terrestrial age indicates a recent
fall (perhaps a piece of Sikhote-Alin/Ref.: V.A. Alekseev et al.,
Meteoritika, 1987, 46, p.81-85).

Best wishes from rainy, overcast Germany

Bernd

Follow-Ups: References: