Re: Killer Meteorites

Calvin Shipbaugh schrieb:

> Ron Baalke wrote:
> >
> > Someone mentioned that Nakhla was the only known meteorite known to
> kill
> > (dog).  There's been other deaths as well, including one that killed
>
> > a calf in 1860.
> > Ron Baalke
>
> I think you are referring to the New Concord L6 that fell in 1860 in
> Ohio.  As I recall, it allegedly killed a horse (colt).  If true, more
>
> dramatic than kids in Indiana just watching one fall (at least for the
>
> horse).

After detonations and appearance of fireball, about 30 stones fell over
an area of 10 by 3 miles; the largest stone weighed 103lb and the total
weight was about 500lb, E.B. Andrews et al., Am. J. Sci., 1860, 30,
p.103, 296. One of the stones killed a colt. Description and analysis,
J.L. Smith, Am. J.Sci., 1861, 31, p.87.

Regards, Bernd