Re: Meteorites from Earth and Venus

>in his very interesting posting Bernd Pauli mentiones the possibility of
>meteorites found on earth coming from Venus.
>
>Sure those specimens should be young, basaltic achondrites. But given our
>current understanding of Venus - is there more we could say ? What could be
>their composition and how would these meteorites look like ?

Some people have suggested that E chondrites (enstatites) chondrites may
have originated from either Mercury or Venus, mainly on evidence that
the E meteorites seemed to have formed in higher temperatures than
your normal meteorite, and the inner solar system is a good
candidate.  However, the evidence to link these meteorites specifically
to either Mercury or Venus is still weak.

The Russians have landed spacecraft on Venus, and some soil analysis was
done.  It would seem the results from these experiments could be used
to help determine what a meteorite from Venus would look like.

Ron Baalke