Re: Extra-solar material - comets

MeteorHntr schrieb:
In a message dated 5/6/98 2:09:54 PM Central Daylight Time, martinh@isu.edu
writes:

<< I forgot to mention that I have a photo of Axtell posted in the Meteorite
 Exchange's Gallery.  The reason I mention this is that while many people
 have seen pictures and specimens of Allende and Murchison, Axtell is much
 less distributed and discussed. As you will see, it is quite different in
 look and texture.  >>

Martin and list,

I thought that Axtell and Allende was so exactly the same (in appearance AND
composition) that it took a couple of years before they were able to prove
that Axtell was NOT Allende.  And due to the fact that it was found by the
farmer decades BEFORE Allende fell, it could not be a transferred Allende.  I
am not sure what they found in it to separate the two compositionally?  Anyone
else know?

Steve

Hello Steve, hello List!

S.B.Simon, L.Grossman, I.Casanova et al.(1995) Axtell, a new CV3 chondrite find from Texas (Meteoritics 30-1, 1995, 42-46):

In this article Simon et al. describe Axtell and the differences and similarities to Allende. It does bear a strong textural resemblance to Allende but the refractory inclusions, thermoluminescence properties and cosmogenic 60Co are not similar. The data are yield a terrestrial age of ca. 100 years for Axtell and a metamorphic grade slightly lower than that of Allende.

Regards, Bernd