Re: Monohans 1998

Jeff Grossman schrieb:

> At 10:17 AM 5/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >Has the classification of Monohans been determined yet? I have been
> >dying to know since the day I saw them. I hope everyone recieved the
> >photos I took in this issue of Voyage Magazine.
> >Thanks
> >Mike Farmer
> >http://www.concentric.net/~farmerm
> >farmerm@concentric.net
> >

> With any luck, the "in press" version of the Meteoritical
> Bulletin will be on-line in a couple of hours.  It has lots
> of new stuff, including Monahans (1998).  Check later today
> at:
>   Http://www.uark.edu/studorg/metsoc/metbull.htm
>
> jeff
>
> (p.s., it's an H5, with some very unusual minerals).

Hey folks,

It is already there! Go and look!

Regards, Bernd

Monahans (1998)
31º36'30"N 102º51'30"W

    Ward County, Texas, USA
    Fell 1998 22 March, 18:48 CST
    Ordinary chondrite (H5)

Two stones, weighing 1344 g and 1243 g, fell in the city of Monahans,
Texas, after two sonic booms and a fireball were observed over a wide
area (up to 100 km from the fall site). One stone penetrated the asphalt
on a city street and was found in the sandy subsurface. Classification
and mineralogy (M. Zolensky and G. Lofgren, JSC): a light-dark breccia,
with light and black clasts in a gray-colored, pulverized host matrix;
olivine, Fa18.8 (host); pyroxene, Fs17.1Wo1.4 (host); plagioclase,
An1–19Ab70–75Or6–29 (all lithologies);shock stage S2 (light clasts) to
S4 (black clasts); the gray-colored matrix material contains blue
crystals of indigenous halite and sylvite, some up to 3 mm in diameter,
some euhedral. Specimens: both masses are owned by the City of Monahans,
contact the City Manager; type specimen, 20 g, contact Dr. Everett
Gibson, JSC. The iron meteorite (group IIF) that was found south of
Monahans, Texas, in 1938 will be designated henceforth as Monahans
(1938).