RTMC

As previously posted, there will be a gathering of meteorite devotees at
the Riverside Telescope Maker's Conference.  I got the schedule, and it
includes some events of interest.  The theme this year is something like
'Rocks In Space'.
The swap meet typically runs well into the afternoon.  It looks to me like
4:00 Sat. might be the best time, assuming that E. Helin won't talk more
than an hour & 15 minutes (??)  Let's make 4:00 the time, the place: behind
the main entrance of the main hall on the picnic tables on the concrete
patio.  I am again willing to discuss alternatives off the list and will
post any changes (and put up some notices on the bulletin board at RTMC).
One good possibility, especially if we think Helin's talk will run long &
interesting, is to meet during the interminable door prize / award session
6:30 Sat., though the patio might be crowded then.   --Peter
===================
The schedule is very close to being finalized and going to press.  There
are always a few last minute changes, but this is the version likely to get
published:
Talks:
Friday
6:30 PM    Alan Gorski - the 1996 RTMC Winter Star Party
6:45 PM    Glen Le Drew - Astrophot Calculator
7:00 PM    Show & Tell - Eclipse & Other

Saturday
Dawn         Swap Meet
9:00 AM    Opening Remaks
9:30 AM    Bob Bell - Adaptive Optics
10:00 AM  Beginners Corner at Crafts Room
10:45 AM  John Dobson - Dark Matter
11:30 AM  Lunch
1:00 PM     Kelly Beatty - The Next Generation of Amateur Astronomers
1:30 PM     Dennis di Cicco - Hunting Asteroids in Your Back Yard
2:00 PM     Paul Chodas - Predicting the Asteroid Impact Hazard
2:45 PM     Eleanor Helin - Detecting Asteroids & Comets with a N.E.A.T.
System
4:45 PM     Dinner
6:30 PM     Door Prizes and Awards

Sunday
8:00 AM    Breakfast
9:00 AM    VCAS - Astronomy Day Comments
9:15 AM    Bob Gent - Starry Nights Festival Update
9:30 AM    Mark Trueblood - Building a Commercial Observatory
10:00 AM  Beginners Corner at Crafts Room
10:30 AM  Peter Ceravolo - Large Format  Astrographs
11:00 AM  Peter Abrahams - Early History of Binocular Telescopes
11:45 AM  Lunch
1:00 PM    Tony Ortega, Robert Burnham Jr. Biography
2:00 PM    Chris Shur - Arizona Digitized Astrophotography Part II
2:30 PM    Jack Newton - CCD Imaging
3:00 PM    Jeff Medkeff - Cassini, Bond, Barnard: "How They Did It and You
Can Too!"

Workshops:
Saturday
11:00 AM  Eyepiece Selection - Alson Wong
3:30 PM     Deep Sky Observing - Wayne Johnson (in Main Hall)
3:30 PM     Beginning Telescope Selection - Allan Hall (in Tent)

Sunday
10:00 AM  Astrophotography - Chris Schur
11:00 AM  Computerized Star Charts - Tom Polakis
1:00 PM    Build and Enhance A Dobsonian - Randy Johnson
2:00 PM    Randy Johnson - Telescope Makers Telescope Tour
3:00 PM    CCD/Imaging and Image Processing - Jack Newton

Peter Abrahams   telscope@europa.com
the history of the telescope, the microscope,
    and the prism binocular