No Subject

  I enjoyed the movie as well. They got enough of the major science so
right that I can overlook the nit-picky errors as dramatic or artistic
license. I think it might be worth sharing with our colleagues that we
might consider emphasizing the following as we talk with the public about
the movie: for the price of making the movie, we could survey to
completeness within a couple decades the near-Earth environment for objects
which might pose a global catastrophe. (Granted, it wouldn't help much for
the problem of long-period comets, presumably the scenario of the movie,
but...) If people enjoyed the movie and were moved to think a little more
about the scenario, would they be willing to spend the price of admission
to better understand and prevent the real thing?

David Morrison, Director of Space
NASA Ames Research Center, MS 200-7
Mountain View CA 94035-1000
Tel 650 604 5094; Fax 650 604 1165