Re: Apollo 13, Meteorites, and Nininger

Hello Walter and List,

Interesting post. I guess searching archives is one way to generate new
material.

Anyway, here are my thoughts: The date of the article is April 13, or two
days after liftoff. I presume Nininger's comment was made shortly after
problems with the space flight were first reported.

Here is the current version of what happened according to the NASM Apollo
page at:
http://www.nasm.edu/APOLLO/AS13/Apollo13_fact.html

"Electrical shorts in the fan circuit ignited the wire insulation, causing
temperature and pressure to increase within cryogenic oxygen tank 2. When
pressure reached the cryogenic oxygen tank 2 relief valve full-flow
conditions of 1008 psi, the pressure began decreasing for about 9 seconds,
at which time the relief valve probably reseated, causing the pressure to
rise again momentarily. About a quarter of a second later, a vibration
disturbance was noted on the command module accelerometers....[the article
goes on to the explosion and rescue]."

If the dates I have are accurate, then suspecting a meteorite as the
culprit at this stage, especially from Nininger, is not only completely
understandable, but also should be expected (IMHO that is). Even in the
NASM brief noted above, the situation begins with an electrical short, and
Nininger's statement only addresses the electrical short to begin with.
Interesting, didn't TWA 800 begin with an electrical short? (Oops, sorry
Ron, I guess the conspiracy theorists up here in Idaho are getting to me)

Martin