Re: Bad Meteorite Laws

Dear Steve,
	I read with interest your commentary about federal land and the
legitimate recovery of meteorites. As for myself, I have had increasing
fears quite opposit - especially since Ron Ferrall of Bethany "Science"
was convicted of stealing a meteorite from a museum. As mentioned
earlier, Canada & Australia both have laws stating any meteorites which
fall within their borders belong to the government (for scientific
research and as property of "all the citizens") South Africa, and I am
sure, other countries have the same laws.
	If one WERE to take a case to court - to "change the law," it would, of
nessessity, be a court of appeals or higher - the highest being the
Supreme Court. Now, once the issue is at the level where laws are
established, what is to stop "concerned scientists" lobbying for a
reivision of the law IN THE OTHER DIRECTION? IE, ALL meteorite
falls/finds "should" be the property of the U.S. government to insure
scientific research and museum display (ergo, "ownership" by ALL U.S.
citizens) (See my article in the Nov. '97 issue of METEORITE! on "The
Four Sectors of The Meteorite Community: A Study in Interdependence" for
arguments AGAINST such "logic.")
	While this would ultimately get many FEWER specimens into the hands of
researchers, to at least SOME, this would SOUND like a "good idea." So,
the question, then, is: is such a legal action as you seem to be
advocating a good idea? Is the law, as written, so punishing that it is
worth risking the loss of ALL falls/finds?
	Perhaps there are "Legal Minds" among the membership who could shed
light on this issue. Perhaps my understanding of the legal process is in
error? However, even if the legal process does NOT involve the
possibility of IMMEDIATE repressive law changes, were I a member of the
scientific meteoritics team at The Smithsonian, I might feal VERY
agitated by having my access to specimens falling on "public lands"
threatened, and a sort of "counter suit" could very well be triggered.
	Oh, and by the way, I, personally, do not think it is a bad idea for
the Smithsonian to have legal rights to any singular and spectacular
specimens which fall on public land. I DO think it would be benificial
if the law provided for "rights" of the finder to specimens NOT of
sigularity and exceptional rarity. In other words, a law that would
"protect" both the iterests of the scientific community AND finders.
	Any meteorite collectors in the legal profession out there?
	Best wishes, Michael