Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way, in Monahans!

Hi Phil and List,

In a message dated 5/28/98 1:27:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
Phil@ticetboo.demon.co.uk writes:

<<
 > But the real silver bullet in our gun, is that there was a case tried in
Texas
 > about 15 years ago where some kids found a suitcase with $500,000 in cash
on
 > the side of a county road.  The county said that they owed it, since it was
 > found on county property, and the kids said "finders keepers!"  Well, when
the
 > dust settled, the Judge found in favor of the kids, and they got the cash
 > (minus their legal fees, of course)!

 I hate to pour cold water on this >>

Cold water in West Texas is refreshing this time of year!  :-)

<>

I do see the similarity here, but there seems to be a big difference here too!
Did the judge rule that since the meteorite fell in Canada but was carried
down on a ice glacier and deposited onto the Oregon Iron and Steel Companies
land roughly 100,000 years earlier that Huges had no right to go over on his
neighbors land and steal it from them?  Was this a case about theft, or was it
about who previous to the stealing of it owned it?  And in America (or in
English Common Law) is there a difference between private property and public
property?

Phil, do you have a copy of of the Judges ruling and comments in that case?
If so, I REALLY would like to see it.  Do you have that court case number?

O. Richard Norton, if you are out there, please give us your sources on these
stories you wrote about in your book!

Phil, you also said it had been decided in "several cases" what others are you
referring to?

<>

I don't know if in common law you are allowed to own a hole on public
property.  But if that was all it took to get ownership of the meteorite, well
we be glad to fill it!

Steve Arnold
www.meteoritebroker.com