Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way, in Monahans!

In your message dated Thursday 28, May 1998 you wrote :

> I do see the similarity here, but there seems to be a big difference here too!
> Did the judge rule that since the meteorite fell in Canada but was carried
> down on a ice glacier and deposited onto the Oregon Iron and Steel Companies
> land roughly 100,000 years earlier that Huges had no right to go over on his
> neighbors land and steal it from them?  Was this a case about theft, or was it
> about who previous to the stealing of it owned it?

I think you are going off on a tangent here. Firstly, the glacial theory - and
it is only a theory - is fairly new and, at the time of the court case (c.1903)
it was assumed the meteorite lay where it fell.

Secondly, the Company owned the land and all that was on it, so the meteorite
was theirs.

> Phil, do you have a copy of of the Judges ruling and comments in that case?
> If so, I REALLY would like to see it.  Do you have that court case number?

No, but even a law school student should be able to find it as well as
details of other cases.

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/