Stopping rust on an iron meteorite

Hello, All:

I have a newbie question to the members of the list. I want to stop the
rusting of one of my iron meteorites, a 1 kilo individual. I want to
achieve "stasis". What would happen if I merely coated the meteorite
with lacquer? Should I really first clean off the existing rust? Will
cleaning off the existing rust also destroy any crust on the specimen? I
don't want to be left with a gleaming silver hunk, as I sort of like the
"look" of the meteorite in its current state. I'm just sick of little
grains of rust falling off whenever I handle the meteorite.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Bo Widerberg