Smithsonian Turn-Around Time?

Does anyone know about how long it takes the Smithsonian Division of
Meteorites to examine a sample and determine if it is a meteorite, and
if so, classify it?

I sent in a sample of the new suspected (strongly suspected) Ohio
meteorite to Dr. Elizabeth Scott there.  I know they received it a
couple of weeks ago, because it was sent certified mail.

I realise they are probably burried in samples all the time, but I need
to keep the owner informed as to what to expect.  Also, I'm really
REALLY excited about the find, and want to get working on the press
release!  :)

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: