Re: Indochinites

Michael Blood wrote:

> In my article, "The Tektites of Tibet (METEORITE!, May, 1996) I clearly
> outline the reports of an Asian trader that the Tibetanites are gathered
> by the Drokma tribe from a dry lake bed in the Chang Tang province,
> (perhaps better known as "The Great Plateau") in central and northern
> Tibet near Motsobuhna Lake. These valued specimens are then most often
> "tithed" to Tibetan monks, who value them greatly.

Proof that the Tibetanites are native to the area would be a great
find.  Michael Blood's article is a valuable input and should be given
proper respect in the discussion. A scientific discussion should include
citation of the premier existing source article when discussing a
controversial topic, particularly since it identifies the general
location even though not the specific coordinates.  This is not enough
by itself to convince skeptics, which most scientists, including myself,
are by training with regards to new discoveries or claims.
Repeatability and multiple field sightings from more than one primary
source are a desirable part of the process of accepting new claims for
anyone who believes there is an objective reality.  I tentatively place
Tibetanites off by themselves based on the fact that one source making
the statement is identified, which is a degree of traceability, but
cannot accept it as proven until more is known.  If the source were the
direct gatherer and not an intermediate trader there would be clear
end-to-end traceability and stronger evidence.

I have one question to bring to the table.  What about environmental
residues adhering to the tektites?  I know this is a tough one since
some types of deposits found on uncleaned tektites are widespread and
may seem indistinguisable, but couldn't there be trace
minerals/elements...?  Is the area basically inaccessible to outside
teams?  Is it possible to pin down an origins controversy by using
physical soil evidence gathered from the general area of the site (by
whomever) which is then compared with uncleaned specimens,even if
tektites themselves are not unearthed by a field party? If this has ever
been done before for any indochinite it would be interesting to learn.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: