Re: Re. Portales "feud"

Hi Greg,

In a message dated 9/13/98 5:10:04 BST, you write:

<< Is it actually possible that you are saying that it is preferable to have
 suppression
 of discussion by some self-appointed person(s), rather than run the risk of a
 "tired finger?" >>

 No. No-one's saying that. I don't believe there's anyone - else - in
this List who thinks that.

<< But those who think "ignoring" and "moving on" are just way too much
trouble,
and would prefer a structured censorship, might do well to reconsider what
happens to societies when suppression of discussion becomes acceptable.
(hint: it isn't good) >>

This, I know, and need no reminding, thanks. I know how the world works, and
would never, ever, endorse censorship, and I don't think any postings on this
subject, from anyone, have even come close to suggesting censorship, just good
manners, politeness and a bit more respect.

<< As soon as someone tries to silence YOU, you'll begin to "get it".>>

Well... I'm a writer, I deal every day with Editors whose mission in life,
whose very reason for living seems to be to stop me from saying what I want to
in the kids education books I work on. I also face, weekly, parents who think
that all scientists are evil, and that I'm filling their kids heads with
nonsense. I also write freelance for local papers, and contribute copy to the
news offices of my local TV / radio orgs, so I am all too well aware of the
dangers and pain of censorship, so you're kind of preaching to the converted
here.

But I appreciate what you're saying.

Bottom line: Censorship = bad...  Respect and good manners = good.

Seems simple enough to me..?

Stuart

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: