BRILLIANT IDEA - or perhaps not!

> I think the first chapter should be on true preservation. The benifits of
> donating meteorites to the scientific community ( museums , universities
> etc. ). Where they will be preseved for all and future generations.
> Just a thought
> John Blennert

I'm not sure I entirely agree with John here! Some museums are allowing their
meteorites to disintegrate either because they do not have the funds or
knowledge (or both) to keep them in good condition. It has to be the right
museum.

One thing that worries me about this suggestion: some of the so-called
preservation techniques mentioned in this list are more likely to damage the
meteorite than preserve it. What many people don't seem to realize is that a
technique that works on one meteorite may not necessarily work on another. In
fact, what may work on one part of a meteorite may fail on another part
depending on localized composition and structure. Fo example, we've had people
posting messages to this list recommending WD40 and yet there are no guarantees
as to the purity of this stuff (especially between batches) and no research into
its long term effects. Utter madness!

Another thing that I'm concerned about is that some of the techniques are
downright dangerous!

So, if someone uses a technique that actually destroys his or her prized
meteorite, or if they blow their hand off in the process, will the Web Master of
this proposed site compensate the poor sod?

Something for you to think about.

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/