Re: meteorite preservation

>I'm curious as to "the rest of the story."

  A 5+ lbs. stone was found at a depth of 9 inches in clay in Texas, by
a man using a metal detector searching for "relics".
  He e-mailed me with questions about meteorites,and he told me " it is
by far heavier than an ordinary rock of the same size" and "...there are
shiny particles...some are shards or veins and some appear smaller.
Flecks if you will."  this he could see after he cleaned the "black
burnt layer" from some of the surface.
   I have told him it would be best not to try to remove more of the
"black burnt layer" and I am talking to him about arranging to look at
the stone.
   I sent this info very late Tuesday night so I have not heard back
from him yet.

Doug

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: